Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Now, to finish...

...what I started with the Hario. Just got the OE lower bearing kit.


I've already seen the video on its installation; there's not a lot to it.


Just take everything apart, which is really easy.


 Contrary to the video, I have to insert the shaft through the top of the tower before installing the bearing due to the nylon sleeve I used at the top.


 It's a snug fit between the screw posts, so it *snaps* when it's seated.


Set the outer burr and retaining ring in place, align the screw holes, and install the screws, but don't tighten just yet. I set OE's included washer over the shaft, leaving out the plastic washer that originally was installed...



...then set the inner burr in place, and tighten the retaining ring screws so the outer burr is centered. I used a second washer in place of the other plastic washer, and began the alignment process that was explained in the video. I does take a bit of fiddlin' with, but I got a pretty good alignment in about 25 minutes. By adjusting the inner burr so it's close to the outer burr, I was able to spin the shaft and listen for any dragging caused by misalignment.



I tightened the grind adjustment nut down, then backed off five notches as a starting point. It's said you lose some fine grind capability with the OE bearing, but with the way mine is set up, I'll be able to grind powder. There's still just a *tiny* bit of slop, but it takes out probably 95% of what it is from Hario.

No comments:

Post a Comment