Saturday, October 11, 2014

As for myself...

...I'm both a collector and consumer. I try to collect the best usable examples I can find, without putting too big of a hole in my wallet. Actually, the first piece that got me started on my search for "the perfect cup" wasn't a collector's piece at all. It was a humble 4-cup auto-drip coffee maker, the Braun KF-12.  


I have a habit of buying stuff that soon becomes obsolete or discontinued (if it isn't already). Which is why I got this at half of what it retailed for (if I recollect, about $60; in the video below I think I said 2006, but my Coffee Geek review is dated June 2005). I think I bought the last one in existence, because they soon disappeared...and started showing up on eBay as "rare", "hard to find", and "vintage". In fact, there's one listed now going for $99.99, unused. I've been tempted to buy another, but since it's been going strong for over 9 years, why? It's not like I have nothing else to brew with. I reckon if it ever does go kaput, I'll take in for repair. It deserves a better fate than being stuck on a shelf.

 
The little Braun has, indeed, served me well. Water hits the grounds at 200 degrees, and I've used nothing but gold-mesh filters. I fill the tank up to the top of the "2" in the sight glass, which is the perfect amount for my trusty 10-ounce cobalt mug. Two 7 gram scoops of whole bean go into the Zassenhaus, medium-fine (I refused to use an electric grinder), flip the switch to "on" (the only control it has), and it brews in three minutes flat. I've been brewing this way, nearly every single day, for over nine years.

No comments:

Post a Comment