Saturday, October 25, 2014

There are some who say...

...the Aeropress is the easiest, bestest way to make coffee.

 
 
Aerobie Aeropress (stock photo)

Granted, it makes a good cup of coffee; what you won't get (regardless of what's printed on the box) is espresso.

Using the Aeropress as per the instructions will produce a coffee concentrate. You then dilute it with hot water, basically making an Americano. That's all fine and dandy, but my Fire King Jadeite D-handle mug is just the right size for this thing to make a good cup using just under one (Aeropress) scoop (which is about 15-17 grams, depending on whose article you're reading), as opposed to the 7 gram Bodum scoop I use for everything else (I've swapped scoops since this video was made). I fill my mug nearly to the top with cold water, dump it in my vintage Sona Ware J901 kettle, and light it up. While the water's heating, I place a filter into the filter holder and wet it. Using the inverted method will give you the best results, and is easier, that the "traditional" method. Stick the plunger section into the brewing chamber just to where the rubber part is completely inside, and turn the whole thing upside-down. Dump in your coffee (I use a medium-fine grind), and pour in just enough hot water to cover the grounds, letting it bloom for 10-15 seconds or so. Or, you can slowly pour in the whole pot, stirring as you go. Twist on the filter cap, and let it steep for as long as what meets your taste. I've been doing 30 seconds, with a 50 second plunge. Make sure you keep a good grip on this thing so it doesn't slip. Plunge away until you hear a soft *hisssss*; this means you've run out of water, and your brew is ready to enjoy. To clean, just twist the filter cap off (the paper filter and coffee grounds, or "puck", will remain in the chamber. Plunge the puck out into the trash and rinse it off. Don't leave the plunger's rubber part in the brewing chamber to ensure it will always fit tightly.


 As with any other method, it takes some trial and error and a bit of tweaking to get your brew to suit your taste. But I must admit...as old-fashioned, hard-headed, and resistant to change that I am, I'm beginning to like what this crazy thing is capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment