Wednesday, November 26, 2014

In my personal collection...

...I've tried to acquire as many different types of brewing devices as there are. So far, I have:

(1) 1930s-era Silex 8-cup vacuum pot
(9) 2- to 8-cup dripolators, ranging from pre-WWI to 1960s
(5) percolators, from a late-'40s Pyrex Flameware 4-cup to a modern 3-cup Rapid Brew
(3) 6-cup moka pots: 2 aluminum Bialettis and a stainless steel Vev Vigano
(2) "stove top espresso makers", a 9-cup Via Veneto CX-25 (older model) and a 12-cup Vesuviano (1950s-60s?)
(2) Napoletanas ("flip pots")
Various other devices, such as Durobor press pots, pour-overs, a French press, an Aeropress, the "Ideal" immersion pot, and (3) auto-drip machines. I'm up to 34 so far, and have a few coffee-related items such as this demitasse cup & saucer...


Ter Steege BV Delft Blauw

A '50s Inland carafe and warmer stand...


A William Rogers & Son sugar bowl (with non-matching spoon), $2 at a flea market...


Not really coffee-related, but for 50 cents, I couldn't pass it up...

 
1930's "Kellogg's Correct Cereal Creamer"

I used to have a ton of coffee cups, old restaurant china from like the '50s & '60s. That heavy stuff that would break a toe if you dropped it. Homer Laughlin and Fire King were my favorites; but I also had Shenago, Jackson, and Buffalo. Cups, mugs, saucers, plates, gravy boats, platters, and creamers. I might have a dozen mugs left, if that many. One Homer Laughlin mug I use for shaving (yes, I still use a brush and a '70s Gillette double-edge adjustable). I also have a huge Faberware 36-cup urn (no guts, though) and a Bunn single warmer.

I think the oddest piece I have is a little (tea?) kettle I found in an antique shop outside of Wimberley a couple of years ago...


 The only markings are "18-8 Stainless Steel Made in Japan" on the bottom. A cylindrical wire mesh filter snaps onto the lid, and fits to within like 3/16" from the bottom. I'm thinking this is more for brewing loose-leaf tea than for coffee, but could be used with a fairly coarse grind. I couldn't find another like it anywhere on the interwebz, though. One-of-a-kind? It would be cool if it was.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment