Saturday, November 22, 2014

"The 'Perfect' Cup of Coffee"...

...doesn't exist. Sorry, all you YouTube coffeshops/roasters/"baristas". That's just a proven statement, because everyone else's tastes don't necessarily jibe with yours.

I don't worry about showing *you* how to brew the "best" or "perfect" cup. I concentrate on showing you how to use these obsolete dinosaurs (and throw in some tips that work for me). It takes time and practice, experimenting with different beans, grinds, and brew times to suit *your* tastes. Frankly, I use the same grind for my Braun as I do with the Wilbur, or my Melitta 101, or my Aeropress, and get the results that suit me just fine. I do make exception when using my French press, of course, and adjust my brewing time accordingly. Just like any other recipe, you tweak it to suit you.

Any one brew method is no better than the other. "Derrrr, Chemex make the best...". For you, maybe. Some folks on Ebay sure are proud of 'em (btw...William Sonoma has the 6-cup for under $40, just sayin'). Even *my* favorite method changes. When I first started using the little Silex 2-cupper, I thought I wouldn't ever use anything else...until I got the Wilbur. So so happens I just finished a cup made with it. When I'm in a hurry, I use the Braun. It's been making a great cup for the past nine years. I may go back in the kitchen in a few minutes and use the Aeropress. Point being, I don't stick with one method. I like to play with my stuff and see what I can concoct. 

Even the roast of the bean. I personally prefer a dark roast, Italian being one of my favorites. But I've found a good Sumatran medium roast that's equally pleasing. Lighter roasts don't grind (by hand) as smooth as darker roasts; I reckon that's due to the oily surfaces on the beans. I'm not a scientist, so I'm just guessing. But I know what *I* like.

So when you watch these videos and some Poindexter pulls out the scale and thermometer, take it with a grain of salt. Just keep your pot clean, use good beans (with a good scoop) and fresh water (just under a boil), and pay attention to what you're doing. Find what works for *you*...then keep working on it.

(Well, I didn't use the Aeropress...but I think I found Wilbur's sweet spot. Yeah. That's the stuff...)

No comments:

Post a Comment